Icarus Originals are proud to announce the production of a unique piece of memorabilia to commemorate the upcoming anniversary of the 1982 Falklands conflict. We have teamed up with Trinity Marine, the worlds largest trader of nautical antiques, to produce these limited edition models of HMS Hermes, the flagship of the Royal Navy taskforce that re-captured the Islands.
These detailed renderings show the carrier which will be manufactured from the original flight deck recovered during the vessel’s disassembly. Shipped back to the UK by Trinity Marine following the end of the carrier’s life as INS Viraat in India, the recovered metal has been melted down and folded into copper to form the marine bronze used for casting. Each of the models are entirely designed, made and hand finished in the UK.
Key product details:
- Mounted on a hand-crafted wooden base, each casting has been made using material reclaimed from HMS Hermes during her disassembly.
- Available with or without the Falklands era ski-jump.
- Designed, handmade and finished in the UK.
- Serialised limited edition release.
- Each model sold supports veterans in employment and the Falklands Veterans Foundation and its operation of “Liberty Lodge” in Port Stanley.
- Each model comes beautifully packaged and complete with a serialised certificate with embossed gold leaf and an information booklet on the ship’s history.
- Model measures 120mm and sits on a wooden base measuring 135 x 80mm.
Thinking about purchasing this beautiful piece of history as a Christmas gift? Pre-order this limited edition mounted HMS Hermes print before the 15th December, choose the add on item for £5 to receive a print along with printed details of the project in time for Christmas.
We’re honoured to be supporting the Falklands Veterans Foundation (FVF), and their continuing work to maintain Liberty Lodge. This provides veterans and the relatives of those killed a tranquil place to stay on the islands. Moreover, the manufacturing of the product supports veterans in the UK too. Icarus Originals was co–founded by a blind ex Royal Navy Officer, whilst the wooden plinth is made by Veterans Woodcraft in Yorkshire.